ORLANDO, Fla. (May 24, 2019) - Orlando City SC (4-7-3, 15 points) fell 1-0 to the LA Galaxy (8-5-1, 25 points) on Friday night at Orlando City Stadium. The Lions posted 19 shots in the match, a season high total, but were unable to find the back of the net and were shutout at home for just the second time this season.
Head Coach James O’Connor:
“Obviously very bitter game for us to accept. I think when you look, it’s a stereotypical smash and grab. I think when you look at the volume of chances that we’ve had, the possession that we’ve had, [and] I think they’ve had one shot on target. So I think it’s a really difficult one to take because you look at that and it’s hard to say that we deserved to get beaten in that game, that’s for sure.”
19’ Jonathan dos Santos - LA 1, ORL 0
After a short clearance attempt by the City defense, the ball fell to the foot of Jonathan dos Santos, who ripped a shot from right outside the area straight into the goal to give the visitors the lead.
- The Lions were awarded a penalty kick for the second-consecutive match in the 32nd minute of play, but forward Nani could not convert from the spot.
- Friday’s match served as Orlando’s last home contest until July. The Lions will play three road MLS contests in the month of June before returning home on July 3rd to host the Philadelphia Union.
- City held a 19 to four shot advantage over the visiting Galaxy. The Lions’ 19 shots on Friday served as their season-high.
- Friday’s match was the first time the home side has not come away with all three points in the five matchups between the two clubs in their history.
- Midfielder Cristian Higuita made his 98th appearance in MLS play on the night.
Orlando City will travel to face the Montreal Impact on Saturday, June 1. Kickoff is set for 5 p.m. ET at Stade Saputo.
LA - Jonathan dos Santos 19’
LA - Emil Cuello (Yellow Card) 17’
LA - Giancarlo González (Yellow Card) 45’+1’
ORL - Robin Jansson (Yellow Card) 86’
LA - Joe Corona (Yellow Card) 87’
Orlando City SC - GK Brian Rowe; D João Moutinho, Robin Jansson, Lamine Sane, Ruan; M Cristian Higuita (Sacha Kljestan 67’), Sebastián Méndez, Will Johnson; F Nani ©, Tesho Akindele (Kyle Smith 56’), Chris Mueller (Josué Colmán 83’)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Greg Ranjitsingh; D Kamal Miller; M Uri Rosell; F Benji Michel
LA Galaxy - GK David Bingham; D Jørgen Skjelvik, Giancarlo González, Daniel Steres, Rolf Feltscher; M Jonathan dos Santos, Joe Corona, Emil Cuello (Perry Kitchen 57’), Favio Álvarez (Ethan Zubak 74’), Sebastian Lletget (Chris Pontius 90’+1’); F Uriel Antuna
Substitutes Not Used: GK Matt Lampson; D Dave Romney; M Emmanuel Boateng, Efrain Álvarez
Details of the Game:
Time: 7 p.m. ET
Date: May 24, 2019
ORL - 57.1%
LA - 42.9%
ORL - 19
LA - 4
ORL - 0
LA - 6
ORL - 7
LA - 11
ORL - 7
LA - 5