KISSIMMEE, Fla. (April 3, 2022) - Orlando City B (1-0-1, 5 points) took the penalty shootout over NYCFC 2 (0-0-2, 2 points) on Sunday night at Osceola County Stadium after the two sides battled to a 2-2 draw on the evening.
Moises Tablante and David Boccuzzo each scored their first goal of the season for the Lions, the former also clinching the extra point for the home side with his penalty strike in the sixth round. Goalkeeper Javier Otero stood tall once again in net, tallying seven saves including a point-blank stop with his foot in the second half to keep the two sides level.
As previously announced, there will be no draws in MLS NEXT Pro as per the league's 2022 Competition Guidelines. Matches that end on level terms will be decided by penalty-kick shootouts.
Orlando City B Head Coach Martín Perelman:
“It was a match where we played against a young team because they came with young players. They had a lot of energy. In the first half we did great, we did a good job. We can do better, but it was a good half and in the second half they were better than us, so the draw is okay. Then the penalties are a part of the league and we won that point and that’s important for us.”
18’ Moises Tablante (Jack Lynn) - OCB 1, NYC 0
Orlando City B got on the board first with Jack Lynn applying pressure to the NYCFC defense, forcing a loose ball to fall to David Boccuzzo. The Orlando City Academy product then found Lynn once more over the top in behind the Pigeons’ backline, who was able to play it across the face of goal to Moises Tablante for the first-time finish.
36’ John Denis (PK) - OCB 1, NYC 1
The visitors leveled less than 20 minutes later, with John Denis converting from the penalty spot for the equalizer.
39’ David Boccuzzo (PK) - OCB 2, NYC 1
OCB quickly regained the league, this time being the ones awarded a penalty after Moises Tablante was tripped up in the box. David Boccuzzo would then step up to the spot, sending NYC goalkeeper Alex Rando the wrong direction for his first professional goal.
45+3’ Kenan Hot (Stephen Turnbull) - OCB 2, NYC 2
NYC leveled once more just before the halftime break, with Kenan Hot able to create some space in the left side of the area before firing a shot into the far post of the net.
- Moises Tablante scored his first goal for Orlando City B this season. One of two members of the side to have competed for OCB in USL League One, the finish served as Tablante’s first in professional play since 2019.
- David Boccuzzo netted his first goal of the year in the match.
- Jack Lynn notched his first assist on Tablante’s first half finish.
- Defender Thomas Williams earned his professional debut in the match. The 17-year-old defender remains the youngest player in Club history to sign a First Team contract, inking a Homegrown deal with Orlando City SC in July 2021.
- Joey DeZart made his first appearance for Orlando City B of 2022.
- Head Coach Martín Perelman made two changes to his starting lineup from the side’s season opener a week ago, with Williams and DeZart stepping in for the side.
Next Match: Orlando City B embarks on its first road trip of the year, set to take on Inter Miami CF II at DRV PNK Stadium on Sun., April 10 in a 5:30 p.m. ET kickoff.