ORLANDO, Fla. (April 15, 2023) – Orlando Pride (0-3-0, 0 points) suffered a 2-0 defeat to NJ/NY Gotham FC at Exploria Stadium on Saturday night, after the visiting side struck late in second half stoppage time. The Pride will now turn their attention to the start of the UKG Challenge Cup, which kicks off at home on Wednesday against the North Carolina Courage. Kickoff for that match is slated for 7 p.m. ET.
Goalkeeper Kaylie Collins made her regular season debut in the match, having previously appeared for the Pride during the 2022 Challenge Cup, also against Gotham. Midfielder Viviana Villacorta and Megan Montefusco also made their 2023 debuts during the game, entering as second-half substitutes.
Gotham got on the board following a Midge Purce penalty kick, which came after a lengthy review by VAR. Lynn Williams then added an insurance goal late in the match.
90+10’ Midge Purce (PK) - NJ/NY 1, ORL 0
Gotham were awarded a penalty kick after a lengthy handball review by VAR following a corner kick. Midge Purce stepped up to the penalty spot and finished the penalty kick.
90+17’ Lynn Williams (Midge Purce) - NJ/NY 2, ORL 0
Gotham clinched the win deep into the second half after Lynn Williams received a pass from Midge Purce and drove the end line finishing it off with a right footed strike from a tight angle that hit the back of the net.
- With the start, Marta made her 75th NWSL regular season appearance, all coming as a member of the Pride.
- Goalkeeper Kaylie Collins made her first regular season appearance with the Pride earning the start between the sticks.
- Midfielder Viviana Villacorta made her first appearance for the Pride since suffering a season-ending injury last year on Aug. 26 against the OL Reign.
- Megan Montefusco made her 2023 debut for the Pride, entering the match in the first minute of stoppage time.
- Seb Hines made three changes to his starting lineup, with Collins, Marta and Messiah Bright all getting the nod.