ORLANDO, Fla. (Feb. 29, 2020) - Orlando City SC (0-0-1, 1 point) played to a scoreless draw with Western Conference side Real Salt Lake (0-0-1, 1 point) to begin the Oscar Pareja era and its sixth Major League Soccer (MLS) campaign. With the draw, the Lions remain unbeaten in season-opening fixtures.
Three new faces appeared in the starting lineup in the match, including goalkeeper Pedro Gallese, who earned a clean sheet in his MLS and Club debut. Fellow newcomer Júnior Urso captained the Lions on the evening, while Antonio Carlos rounded out the new faces in the XI at center back. Andrés Perea made his City debut in the match as well, entering the game in the second minute of stoppage time.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja:
“First I would like to thank the fans tonight, incredible atmosphere. I knew it, but I had not felt that and tonight I felt it and our boys did as well. We are living with a sensation of ‘it could have been much more’ and give them the three points because our fans deserved it tonight, the way they came and filled the stadium and gave us that energy. That was transmitted to our players. They were very high and very happy about the support that we felt today. Hopefully we can give them more often the three points that we deserved tonight. But in this game it’s not something that you deserve, you have to actually execute it and make it happen and we couldn’t put the ball in the back of the net, unfortunately. But the performance was very right and our players had a great effort and the intensity and that passion that I want to see from this team on the pitch and I’m very proud.”
- The Lions opened the season with a shutout for the second time in Club history, the first in 2017 in a 1-0 victory over NYCFC to open the then-named Orlando City Stadium on March 5, 2017.
- Pedro Gallese earned his first clean sheet as a Lion in both his Club and MLS debut.
- Four Lions made their Club debut in the match with Pedro Gallese, Antonio Carlos and Júnior Urso getting the start on the night and Andrés Perea entering the match in second half stoppage time.
- Júnior Urso captained the Lions in the match.
- Head Coach Oscar Pareja becomes the third head coach in Club history to begin his tenure with a positive result.
- Next Match: The Lions will embark on their first road trip of the 2020 MLS season, traveling to face the Colorado Rapids on Saturday, March 7 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park.
RSL - Justen Glad (Yellow Card) 41’
ORL - Mauricio Pereyra (Yellow Card) 75’
Orlando City SC - GK Pedro Gallese; D João Moutinho, Robin Jansson, Antonio Carlos, Ruan (Andrés Perea 90+2’); M Chris Mueller, Júnior Urso ©, Sebastián Méndez, Mauricio Pereyra; F Tesho Akindele (Santiago Patiño 84’), Benji Michel (Robinho 65’)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Brian Rowe; D Rodrigo Schlegel, Kamal Miller; M Joey DeZart
Real Salt Lake - GK Zac MacMath; D Donny Toia, Nedum Onuoha, Justen Glad (Corey Baird 63’), Aaron Herrera; M Marcelo Silva, Damir Kreilach ©, Justin Portillo (Giuseppe Rossi 79’), Albert Rusnák, Tate Schmit (Justin Meram 70’); F Nick Besler
Substitutes Not Used: GK Andrew Putna; M Pablo Ruíz, Maikel Chang; Douglas Martinez
Details of the Game:
Time: 6 p.m. ET
Date: February 29, 2020
Attendance: 25,527 (sellout)
ORL - 50.7%
RSL - 49.3%
ORL - 9
RSL - 5
ORL - 1
RSL - 2
ORL - 11
RSL - 13
ORL - 12
RSL - 5