F Chris Mueller became the 12th Lion and the first Lions rookie ever to make 30 appearances across all competitions in a single season. Mueller leads the team with 28 MLS appearances.
The former Wisconsin Badger leads all rookies with 1,826 minutes and 6 assists. His 3 goals are 2nd-most among rookies. He leads all 2018 SuperDraft picks in each category and is a contender to win MLS Rookie of the Year.
A Matter of Time
Orlando City hasn’t scored in 360 minutes of play. The Lions’ last goal was in stoppage time against Philadelphia on Sept. 1. The Club record for longest period between goals is 380 minutes, set from the 17th minute vs. Toronto on Aug. 5, 2015 to the 37th minute vs. Chicago on Aug. 29, 2015. That goal in Chicago was an own-goal, and City was shutout 3-0 in New England the following game, so a Lion didn’t score until M Adrian Winter in the 3rd minute vs. Sporting KC on Sept. 13.
Misery Loves Company
New England must win on Saturday to avoid elimination from playoff contention. Orlando City was eliminated last week following Montreal’s win over Columbus.
Orlando City has posted 2 clean sheets in MLS this season, an MLS record-low matched 7 times, most recently by Philadelphia in 2010. The Lions have been shutout 10 times in MLS this season. The league record is 17, set twice by D.C. United in 2010 and 2017.
- M Sacha Kljestan’s next assist will be the 91st of his career and tie him with M Cobi Jones for 8th-most in MLS history (regular season only).
- Orlando City is 6 goals away from scoring its 200th all-time across all competitions (MLS era).
- Orlando City is 2 goals away from conceding its 70th of the season, which would tie the MLS record set by Minnesota United in its 2017 expansion season.
5 Left Feet
Orlando City will be without its top 2 leading scorers Saturday in New England. F Dom Dwyer (12 goals) will serve a 1-game suspension for yellow card accumulation and M Yoshi Yotún (10 assists) is on international duty with Peru. City will also be missing D Amro Tarek (Egypt) and D Mohamed El-Munir (Libya), who are helping their countries in Africa Cup of Nations qualifying. Dwyer, Tarek and Yotún combined for 2 goals and 3 assists in City’s 3-3 draw vs. New England on Aug. 4. M Pierre Da Silva (knee) will also be out. All 5 players are left-footed.
The Lions will also be missing right-footed captain D Jonathan Spector (back).
Neck and Neck
Last week in Dallas, M Cristian Higuita and GK Joe Bendik made their 92nd career MLS appearances for City. They are both tied for the Club record. Higuita is the longest-tenured Lion (signed on Jan. 26, 2015) and is the Club’s all-time appearances leader with 95 across all competitions.
By The Way
- M Richie Laryea made his first appearance since June 30 when he came on for F Chris Mueller in the 76th minute Saturday in Dallas. It was Laryea’s 7th appearance of the season.
- M Yoshi Yotún will serve his 1-game suspension for yellow card accumulation during City’s game vs. Seattle on Oct. 17, after he returns from international duty with Peru.