Last Go Around
Sunday will serve as City’s first visit to the Queen City in Club history and its second meeting with Charlotte FC this campaign. The Lions hosted the 2022 expansion side on April 30 at Exploria Stadium, taking a 2-1 victory behind goals from Ruan and Facundo Torres in the match with Mauricio Pereyra setting a new Club assist record the same evening, earning his 27th as a Lion at the time on Torres’ finish.
Seven for No. 17
Facundo Torres found the back of the net on Saturday in New Jersey, serving as his seventh goal in all competitions since joining the Club this past offseason. The Lions’ Young Designated Player now leads the side in game-winning goals this year, deciding three matches in favor of Orlando, with his performance on Saturday earning him a spot on the MLS Team of the Week Bench.
A Clean Record
Goalkeeper Pedro Gallese notched his eighth clean sheet of the season on Saturday night, setting a new single-season record for the Club in shutouts. El Pulpo already holds the total shutouts record for the side, now with 19 in all competitions since joining Orlando City ahead of the 2020 MLS campaign.
Nearing the Century Mark
Defender Kyle Smith sits one appearance away from his 100th in all competitions, now with 99 as a Lion. In his next outing, Smith will become the fifth Lion this year alone to reach the century mark, joining teammates Robin Jansson, Tesho Akindele, Ruan and Benji Michel. All five players were acquired in the 2018-19 primary transfer window in what served as EVP of Soccer Operations Luiz Muzzi’s first in charge.
A Club Debut
The Lions’ most recent acquisition made his Club debut over the weekend, with Wilder Cartagena entering the game in the second half for the side. The Peruvian National Team midfielder last played at Al-Ittihad Kalba SC of United Arab Emirates’ UAE Pro League, joining the Lions on loan through the end of the 2022 season with an option to extend an additional year through 2023.
- Orlando’s next clean sheet, its ninth, will mark a new single-season Club record.
- With its next win on the road, Orlando City will tie the Club record for away wins in a season (5), set in both 2015 and 2021.
- Mauricio Pereyra is one assist away from becoming the first player in Orlando City history to post multiple double-digit assist seasons in MLS.
- Pereyra is two assists away from setting the new single-season record for assists in an MLS season. Pereyra’s 2021 season currently holds the record with three others (Kaká 2016, Yoshimar Yotún 2018, Nani 2019) at 10.
- Ercan Kara is three regular-season goals away from reaching double digits for the season.
- Kara’s next appearance will be his 25th across all competitions.
- Júnior Urso is one appearance away from his 90th as a Lion and one start away from his 80th for the Club.
- Andrés Perea sits one appearance away from 80 as a Lion.