Making Club History
Nani extended his team lead with his seventh goal of the year on Saturday in Toronto, good for his 25th in regular season play as a Lion. With the finish, the Lions’ captain took sole possession of second in Club history in regular season goals, passing former Orlando City captain Kaká and former Lions’ forward Dom Dwyer, both tallying 24 such finishes in their respective careers. Nani has now found the back of the net 28 times across all competitions as a Lion.
Defender Kyle Smith continued his run of form on Saturday night in Toronto, logging a full 90 to maintain his minutes streak for the Club as the lone member of the side to play every minute this year. With three tackles won on Saturday night, Smith stands alone atop the league at that mark with 29 tackles won on the year. He also leads the Club in passes successful (532) duels won (82), duel success (61.19%) and recoveries (91).
Last Time Against the Union
The Lions last took on Thursday’s opposition on July 20, 2020 at the MLS is Back Tournament in Group A play at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, playing to a 1-1 draw on the night. Mauricio Pereyra scored the lone goal for City on the evening as the Club clinched the top spot in Group A ahead of their eventual run to the tournament final a summer ago.
The Return of El Pulpo
Goalkeeper Pedro Gallese made his return to the starting lineup for the Lions on Saturday night for the first time since his 2021 Copa América campaign for Peru, last featuring in between the sticks for City on May 29 at Red Bull Arena. Gallese tallied a pair of saves on the night, passing former Lions goalkeeper Tally Hall (74) for third in Club history with his 75th and 76th saves for City.
For Club & Country
Lions forward Daryl Dike has started the last two matches for the USMNT in their quest for the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup, finding the back of the net twice on Thursday in a 6-1 victory over Martinique and forcing an own goal as well. Dike followed up his two-goal performance with a full 90 on Sunday against Canada as the U.S. clinched the top spot in Group B ahead of the Quarterfinals.
- Nani is one assist away from tying the Club all-time record, currently held by Chris Mueller and Kaká (22).
- Chris Mueller’s next appearance will see him pass Cristian Higuita for the most in Club history in all competitions (108).
- Mueller’s next assist would give him the club record for assists in all competitions (23), passing Kaká.
- Pedro Gallese’s next clean sheet will be his ninth in all competitions, which would see him pass Brian Rowe for second in club history. Joe Bendik has the record with 13 clean sheets.
- Uri Rosell sits two appearances away from 100 in MLS.