Last Go Around
The Lions will look for back-to-back victories over the Black and Red this campaign on Saturday night, having taken a 1-0 shutout victory at Audi Field on May 16 in what served as the side’s first road win of the season. Mauricio Pereyra scored the eventual game-winner in that match in the seventh minute of play, with Tesho Akindele earning the assist on the finish. Goalkeeper Pedro Gallese had to tally just one save in the match to preserve the clean sheet for the visitors.
Two in Two
Forward Daryl Dike found the back of the net for the second time in as many contests on Wednesday night in Nashville, this time both drawing a penalty and proceeding to convert from the spot in his first PK attempt in Major League Soccer. Dike now sits with five goals this season and 13 in total in his MLS career, trailing only Nani in goals in 2021 for the Lions.
Where Things Stand
Currently sitting at seventh in the Eastern Conference, the Lions’ 39 points sit one shy of the Black and Red in the standings, who currently occupy third place with 40 points in 27 matches played. City’s 39 points is tied with three other clubs in MLS in NYCFC, Philadelphia and Atlanta, the four clubs occupying positions 4-7 in the Eastern Conference standings, with CF Montréal trailing close behind at eighth with 37 points.
The Road Ahead
Of the Lions’ seven remaining matches in the 2021 MLS regular season, three come against sides currently in position to make the Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs, with a pair of matches against current eighth-place side CF Montréal to add. The Lions will host D.C. United, Montréal, New England and Nashville SC each at Exploria Stadium, with three road tests remaining at FC Cincinnati, Columbus and a Decision Day finale against CF Montréal.
- Mauricio Pereyra’s next assist will be his 11th for the year, setting a new club record for assists in a single season.
- Pereyra is the fourth player in club history to record a double-digit assist season (Kaká 10, 2016; Yoshimar Yotún 10, 2018; Nani 10, 2019).
- Pereyra’s next assist will be his 23rd as an Orlando City player, which would pass Kaká and Chris Mueller for second all-time in club history.
- Nani’s is one goal away from 10 for the 2021 season, which would make him the second player in club history after Cyle Larin to record multiple double-digit goal seasons for the club in the MLS era.
- João Moutinho’s next appearance will serve as his 50th in all competitions for City.
- Pedro Gallese’s next start will mark his 40th as a Lion.
- Nani will reach 80 appearances in all competitions in his next outing for City.
- Tesho Akindele is two goals away from 20 in his Orlando City career.
- Pedro Gallese’s next clean sheet will be his 10th for Orlando City.
- Orlando City’s next clean sheet will set a new club record with 8 in a single season. 2021 marks the fourth time Orlando City has recorded 7 clean sheets in a season, along with 2015, 2017, and 2019.