CHESTER, Pa. -- Orlando City B (1-0-0, 3 points)opened its 2023 campaign with a 3-1 victory over Philadelphia Union II (0-1-0, 0 points) at Subaru Park on Sunday afternoon.
Head Coach Martín Perelman rolled out a new-look lineup, with a total of nine members of the side making their OCB debut on the afternoon. Debutant Cristofer Acuña finished the match with a goal and an assist to his credit, while 2023 MLS SuperDraft selection Abdi Salim also found the back of the net for the Lions at Subaru Park. The scoring was rounded out for the visitors by Jack Lynn, picking up right where he left off a year ago as the Lions’ leading scorer with 15 finishes in 2022.
The Lions return to action on Friday, March 31, hosting Huntsville City FC in their home opener at Osceola County Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. ET.
4’ Abdi Salim (Alejandro Granados) - ORL 1, PHI 0
The Lions got on the board within five minutes of the start of their 2023 campaign thanks to an in-swinging corner from Alejandro Granados, finding the head of Abdi Salim in the box for the finish.
17’ Cristofer Acuña (Franco Pérez) - ORL 2, PHI 0
City doubled its advantage with Franco Pérez jumping on a misplayed pass from the Union just inside of midfield, taking his space and driving into the box before laying off a ball across the area for Cristofer Acuña to tap it into the back of the net.
30’ CJ Olney (Nelson Pierre) - ORL 2, PHI 1
The home side cut the Lions’ advantage in half with Nelson Pierre driving up the right flank before cutting a ball across the face of goal for CJ Olney for the first-time finish.
61’ Jack Lynn (Cristofer Acuña) - ORL 3, PHI 1
OCB added another with a ball from Cristofer Acuña finding the head of Jack Lynn to put the City lead back to two.
- Abdi Salim scored his first goal for Orlando City B.
- Cristofer Acuña netted his first finish as a Lion on Sunday afternoon while tallying his first helper for OCB on Jack Lynn’s goal in the 61st minute.
- Lynn scored his first goal of the year. The Notre Dame-product finished the 2022 campaign as the leading scorer for OCB with 15 goals, good for third in all of MLS NEXT Pro.
- Franco Pérez notched his first goal contribution for Orlando City B, earning the assist on the Acuña finish.
- Alejandro Granados tallied his first assist of the year, now with two for OCB.
- Eight members of the starting lineup made their Orlando City B debuts on Sunday afternoon in Salim, Acuña, Pérez, Nabi Kibunguchy, Zakaria Taifi, Juninho, Imanol Almaguer and Jhon Solís.
- 2023 MLS SuperDraft selection Shak Mohammed made his Orlando City B debut in the match, entering in the 67th minute.