KISSIMMEE, Fla. (March 26, 2022) - Orlando City B (1-0-0, 3 points) started its inaugural MLS NEXT Pro campaign with a victory, defeating Chicago Fire FC II (0-1-0, 0 points) 2-0 at Osceola County Stadium on Saturday afternoon. The Lions were led by 2022 MLS SuperDraft selection Jack Lynn, who netted both of the side’s goals on the day. Wilfredo Rivera, also a member of the Lions’ First Team, assisted on both goals.
Academy product Javier Otero stood tall in net, shutting down the visitors on multiple occasions, including two point-blank stops in the first half. Otero finished with nine saves in the match.
Chicago was reduced to 10 men just 37 minutes into the game on a straight red card, while Orlando went down a man in the second half, as well, after Erick Gunera picked up his second yellow card.
Orlando City B Head Coach Martín Perelman:
“We’re happy to win. We’re happy because our players, our young players especially, had their first experience in a professional league and also because of the performance of the players who come from the First Team. But, of course, we have a lot to improve. We [made] mistakes, the game was without balance and we [didn’t] like that. But, ok, it’s the first game and it’s good to start winning for the kids. They [made] a big effort so we’re happy for them.”
50’ Jack Lynn (Wilfredo Rivera) - OCB 1, CHI 0
Orlando City B opened the scoring shortly after the halftime break, with Wilfredo Rivera whipping in a ball from the left side, ultimately finding the head of Jack Lynn for the finish for the Club’s first goal in MLS NEXT Pro action.
87’ Jack Lynn (Wilfredo Rivera) - OCB 2, CHI 0
Lynn doubled his account on the afternoon, this time with Rivera finding him up the middle of the pitch before the 2022 MLS SuperDraft selection slotted his shot home into the far post past Chicago goalkeeper Mihajlo Miskovic.
- Jack Lynn scored his first professional goals in what also served as his pro debut, tallying a brace in the match.
- Wilfredo Rivera tallied a pair of assists and also dawned the captain’s armband for Orlando City B, making his professional debut for the Club.
- Joining Lynn and Rivera in the first XI from the Orlando City First Team was defender Alex Freeman, who too made his professional debut on the afternoon.
- The Orlando City B starting lineup featured six products out of the Orlando City B Academy, including Homegrown signees Alex Freeman and Wilfredo Rivera, as well as goalkeeper Javier Otero, defender David Boccuzzo, and attackers Moises Tablante and Gonzalo Agustoni-Chagas.
- Orlando City was reduced to 10 men in the 63rd minute of play, with Erick Gunera receiving a second yellow card.
- Chicago looked to have leveled in the 64th minute, but the goal was called back for offside.
- Chicago was reduced to 10 men in the 37th minute of play with Justin Reynolds receiving a straight red card.
Next Match: Orlando City B returns to Osceola Heritage Park for a matchup with NYCFC 2 on Sunday, April 3 in a 6 p.m. ET kickoff.