KISSIMMEE, Fla. (May 29, 2023) – Orlando City B (6-3-2, 21 points) took down New York Red Bulls II (5-3-3, 20 points) on Monday night at Osceola County Stadium, battling back from 2-1 down in the second half to take all three points on the night with a 3-2 final scoreline.
The Lions took the lead in the first half via a Dija own goal, before the Red Bulls scored two before the end of the first half. Jack Lynn and Shak Mohammed scored in the 61st and 64th minutes respectively, with the latter’s first professional goal serving as the game-winner for OCB on the night. With the win, the Lions jump up to third in the Eastern Conference standings.
City will now head back out on the road for a matchup with Toronto FC II at York Lions Stadium on Sunday, June 4. That match is set to kickoff at 8 p.m. ET on MLS Season Pass on Apple TV.
5’ Dija (Own Goal) – ORL 1, RBNY 0
The Lions opened up the scoring early on the night, with Imanol Almaguer playing in an early cross to Jack Lynn in the Red Bulls’ box. Lynn got his head on the ball and put it on target, forcing Dija to make a play, ultimately putting the ball in his own net to give OCB the early lead.
31’ Ibrahim Kasule (O’Vonte Mullings) – ORL 1, RBNY 1
The visitors leveled it up in the 31st minute of play as O’vonte Mullings dribbled through a slew of City defenders from the right side of the box and played a low ball to the near post for Ibrahim Kasule. Kasule hit it first time to equalize for the Red Bulls.
45’ Ricardo Gorday – RBNY 2, ORL 1
The Red Bulls took the lead just before the halftime break after the Lions gave up a freekick just outside the left edge of their 18-yard box. Ricardo Gorday stood over it for the visitors, firing a direct shot to Javier Otero’s right, with Otero getting a hand to the shot but not enough to keep Gorday from taking the lead.
61’ Jack Lynn (Alex Freeman) – ORL 2, RBNY 2
The Lions leveled things just 16 minutes into the second half as Alex Freeman beat Red Bulls goalkeeper Alan Rutkowski to a ball outside the box before sliding the ball over to Jack Lynn. Lynn slotted the ball quickly into the open net for his sixth goal this season.
64’ Shak Mohammed – ORL 3, RBNY 2
Orlando City B took the lead back just three minutes later when Shak Mohammed headed a 50/50 ball in the box down to himself. Mohammed then fired the ball off the post and into the net to score his first professional goal.
- The Lions maintained their unbeaten record at home on Monday night, sitting with a 4-0-2 record at Osceola County Stadium this campaign. Orlando City B has taken victories from Huntsville City, Inter Miami II, Toronto FC II and New York Red Bulls II in Kissimmee thus far, while battling to draws with NYCFC II and Atlanta United 2 at home in 2023, holding a +6 goal differential through the six contests.
- Forward Shak Mohammed scored his first professional goal in the match tonight, tallying the Lions’ third in the 64th minute of play. Mohammed was drafted by Orlando City second overall in the 2023 MLS SuperDraft.
- Jack Lynn tallied his sixth goal of the 2023 season in the match and his 21st overall in MLS NEXT Pro, also scoring his fourth goal in three games.
- Alex Freeman provided his second assist of the season, adding the helper on Jack Lynn’s 61st-minute finish.
- Forward Wilfredo Rivera made his first start of the 2023 campaign of the night, appearing in his eighth match this season.
- Head Coach Martín Perelman made one change to his starting lineup from his side’s last match against Inter Miami CF II, with Wilfredo Rivera getting the start on the night.