NASHVILLE (Oct. 4, 2023) – Orlando City SC (16-7-9, 57 points) defeated Nashville SC (12-10-9, 45 points) 1-0 at GEODIS Park on Wednesday night. The victory marks the eighth win of the season away from home for the Lions, the most by any other MLS team this season.
The game-winning goal came from rookie sensation Duncan McGuire as he netted his 10th goal of the regular season and his 12th across all competitions. Hitting the double-digit mark in regular-season play, McGuire became just the fifth player in MLS history to score at least 10 goals in the year they were drafted out of college.
Captain Mauricio Pereyra and midfielder Martín Ojeda combined for the assist on the McGuire finish, both serving as their 10th of the season, respectfully. The duo is tied for the Club lead in assists throughout the campaign. Pereyra also recorded his third consecutive season of double-digit helpers and also extended his Club record to 45 career assists.
44’ Duncan McGuire (Martín Ojeda, Mauricio Pereyra)
The Lions struck first with the captain Mauricio Pereyra finding a sprinting Martín Ojeda along the left flank. Ojeda crossed the ball into the near post finding an open Duncan McGuire who was there for the tap in.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja:
“We are very happy. Everyone was very committed today with the result. The variations we tried, and we did during the game, they responded very good. It was a great effort from the team that has matured and knows where we are. We were playing against a very difficult team. Nashville is a team that creates a lot of chances when they have to play and their crosses. We defended very well. We are now getting ready for the next one. We are proud. Congratulations to our fans too. We will just keep dreaming.”
- Rookie Duncan McGuire scored his 12th goal across all competitions and his 10th of the regular season. McGuire became the fifth player in MLS history to score at least 10 regular-season goals in the year they were drafted out of college.
- Martín Ojeda collected his 10th assist of the year on the Duncan finish, which is tied for the team lead alongside Mauricio Pereyra.
- Mauricio Pereyra provided his 10th helper of the 2023 campaign, giving him double-digit assists in three consecutive seasons. City’s captain extends his own Club record to 45 career assists, 19 more than the next closest player.
- Goalkeeper Pedro Gallese recorded his 10th clean sheet of the season.
- Antonio Carlos made his first appearance since July 15 against Atlanta United FC.
- Head Coach Oscar Pareja made two changes to his starting lineup since his side’s last match against the Montréal CF with Martín Ojeda and Kyle Smith both getting the nod.
Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoff vs Columbus Crew
Our Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoff tickets for our Eastern Conference Semifinal matchup against the Columbus Crew, presented by Publix, on Nov. 25 at 5:30 p.m. ET are live!