CINCINNATI, Ohio (Sept. 29, 2019) - Orlando City SC (9-14-10, 37 points) earned a 1-1 draw against FC Cincinnati (6-22-5, 23 points) on Sunday night at Nippert Stadium. Benji Michel scored for the Lions in the 91st minute, his fourth finish of the season, to split the points between the two sides.
Head Coach James O’Connor:
“Obviously bitterly disappointed with the first half. I think second half we had some opportunities and I think the mentality piece, I think that’s something where we came up a little bit short. I think the performance that first half is really infuriating for everyone. Second half we come out, we have multiple chances, it’s a different game second half but I think from our standpoint just very disappointed with the first half.”
40’ Allan Cruz (Emmanuel Ledesma, Joseph-Claude Gyau) - CIN 1, ORL 0
The home side took the lead just before the break with Joseph-Claude Gyau sending a ball in behind the City defense for Emmanuel Ledesma, who cut it back to the middle of the area to Allan Cruz for the finish.
90+1 Benji Michel (Dom Dwyer, Nani)
The Lions scored the late equalizer with Nani crossing in a ball from the right side that found the head of Dom Dwyer at the far post, who headed it back to the center of the box for Benji Michel for the first-time finish.
- With his assist on Benji Michel’s finish, Nani tied former Lions Kaka and Yoshimar Yotún for the most assists in a single season by a Lion with his 10th of the year.
- Benji Michel scored his fourth goal of the season with his finish in second half stoppage time.
- Goalkeeper Brian Rowe registered his 100th save as a Lion with his first save of the match in the 25th minute off a shot from Joseph-Claude Gyau. Rowe becomes the second goalkeeper in Club history to register 100 saves in a season, with former Lion Joe Bendik reaching the century mark in both 2016 and 2017.
- Dom Dwyer recorded his fourth assist of the year in the match.
- The Lions were forced into an early substitution when João Moutinho exited the match in the 14th minute with an injury.
Next Match: The Lions close out their 2019 MLS campaign when they host the Chicago Fire on Sunday, Oct. 6 at Exploria Stadium. Kickoff is slated for 4 p.m. ET.
CIN - Allan Cruz (Emmanuel Ledesma, Joseph-Claude Gyau) 40’
ORL - Benji Michel (Dom Dwyer, Nani) 90+1’
ORL - Sebastián Méndez (Yellow Card) 45’
CIN - Allan Cruz (Yellow Card) 45+3’
ORL - Robin Jansson (Yellow Card) 61’
ORL - Kyle Smith (Yellow Card) 89’
Orlando City SC - GK Brian Rowe; D João Moutinho (Kyle Smith 14’), Robin Jansson, Lamine Sané, Ruan; M Will Johnson, Sebastián Méndez (Chris Mueller 67’), Mauricio Pereyra; F Nani ©, Dom Dwyer, Tesho Akindele (Benji Michel 58’)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Greg Ranjitsingh; D Kamal Miller; M Uri Rosell, Carlos Ascues
FC Cincinnati - GK Przemyslaw Tyton; D Greg Garza, Nick Hagglund ©, Maikel van der Werff, Mathieu Deplagne; M Frankie Amaya (Fatai Alashe 74’), Leonardo Bertone, Allan Cruz (Thomas McCabe 85’); F Joseph-Claude Gyau, Emmanuel Ledesma, Roland Lamah (Derrick Etienne 69’)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Jimmy Hague; D Justin Hoyte, Andrew Gutman; F Rashawn Dally
Details of the Game:
Time: 5 p.m. ET
Date: September 29, 2019
CIN - 45.4%
ORL - 54.6%
CIN - 16
ORL - 13
CIN - 2
ORL - 6
CIN - 7
ORL - 14
CIN - 2
ORL - 6