BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (August 21, 2019) - Orlando Pride (4-11-2, 14 points) earned a 2-1 decision over the Chicago Red Stars (9-7-2, 29 points) on Wednesday night at SeatGeek Stadium. The victory served as the Pride’s third-consecutive on the road against the Red Stars, having earned wins in their two contests in Bridgeview last season.
Rachel Hill and Chioma Ubogagu each scored a goal and provided an assist in the match, with Hill opening the scoring in the 33rd followed by Ubogagu on the other side of the break in the 61st. Ubogagu now sits tied with Marta for the team lead in goals scored this season with four, followed by Hill, now with two.
Orlando Pride Head Coach Marc Skinner:
“We’ve had to endure everything. It’s about time Orlando Pride built the identity of a team that wants to be successful and not just wish for it to be. We have to dig in, you have to win games ugly and tonight I think we’ve won the game ugly. Chicago have got to come in the second half and they’ve got one of the world’s best forwards, so you have to try and stop that from happening and I thought the girls were superb tonight. For every player on that field, for everyone in the squad, they’ve hopefully identified what the Pride badge is to play for.”
33’ Rachel Hill (Chioma Ubogagu) - ORL 1, CHI 0
The Pride took the early lead with Chioma Ubogagu lofting a ball into the penalty area from the left side after a quick throw-in. The cross found the head of Rachel Hill, who hit it on the run into the far post for the finish.
61’ Chioma Ubogagu (Rachel Hill) - ORL 2, CHI 0
The Pride doubled their lead in the 61st minute, after Hill returned the favor to Ubogagu, setting up her fellow forward for the goal. Ubogagu collected a loose ball near the midfield and played a wide pass to Hill, who found Ubogagu making a streaking run through the box, allowing for a hard, left-footed shot for the goal.
90+6’ Tierna Davidson - ORL 2, CHI 1
The Red Stars denied the Pride of a shutout late when a shot from Savannah McCaskill hit straight off the crossbar back to the top of the area, where Tierna Davidson took a touch and hit a low, driven shot to the far post for the finish.
- Rachel Hill scored her second goal of the season in the match, serving as the ninth of her NWSL career.
- Chioma Ubogagu found the back of the net for the fourth time this season to tie Marta for the team lead. Ubogagu opened the scoring in the Pride’s last match against the Red Stars on June 30.
- Chioma Ubogagu registered the assist on Hill’s first half goal for her second of the season, tying Joanna Boyles for the team lead.
- Rachel Hill recorded her first assist of the season in the match.
- The victory served as the third-consecutive at SeatGeek Stadium for the Pride, having taken two wins from then-named Toyota Park on May 2 and May 26 of last season.
- The Pride were reduced to 10 players late in the match when Alanna Kennedy was shown a red card in the 90th minute. The card served as the third of its kind this season and the fourth in Club history for the Pride.
- Alex Morgan made her first appearance in the starting lineup since returning from the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup, but was forced to leave the game with an injury in the 13th minute.
Next Match: The Pride face a quick turnaround, closing out this week’s two-game road trip on Saturday, August 24 against the Washington Spirit. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. ET at Audi Field.
ORL - Rachel Hill (Chioma Ubogagu) 33’
ORL - Chioma Ubogagu (Rachel Hill) 61’
CHI - Tierna Davidson 90+6’
ORL - Ali Kreiger (Yellow Card) 81’
ORL - Alanna Kennedy (Red Card) 90’
Orlando Pride - GK Ashlyn Harris ©; D Erin Greening, Ali Kreiger, Shelina Zadorsky, Kristen Edmonds; M Dani Weatherholt, Marisa Viggiano (Joanna Boyles 80’), Alanna Kennedy; F Claire Emslie, Alex Morgan (Chioma Ubogagu 13’), Rachel Hill (Abby Elinsky 85’)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Haley Kopmeyer; D Morgan Reid, Carson Pickett, Camila
Chicago Red Stars - GK Alyssa Naeher; D Casey Short, Julia Ertz ©, Sarah Gorden, Tierna Davidson; M Danielle Colaprico (Katie Naughton 46’), Morgan Brian (Katie Johnson 85’), Vanessa Dibernardo (Savannah McCaskill 64’), Yuki Nagasato, Arin Wright; F Sam Kerr
Substitutes Not Used: GK Mackenzie Arnold; D Brooke Elby; M Nikki Stanton, Maria Sanchez
Details of the Game:
Time: 7:30 p.m. ET
Date: August 21, 2019
Stats Summary: CHI / ORL
Possession: 61.4% / 38.6%
Shots: 18 / 5
Shots on Goal: 5 / 3
Saves: 1 / 3
Corner Kicks: 8 / 1
Fouls: 7 / 8
Offside: 0 / 4
REF: Rebecca Pagan
AR1: Kali Smith
AR2: Rachel Smith
4TH: Nabil Bensalah