WASHINGTON, D.C. (June 26, 2019) - Orlando City SC (5-8-3, 18 points) fell 1-0 to D.C. United (8-4-6, 30 points) on Wednesday night at Audi Field. The loss was the first for the Lions since May 24 and their first on the road since May 15 across all competitions.
Wayne Rooney scored the eventual game-winner in the 10th minute off a chip from beyond midfield. The Lions matched a season-high with 19 shots, but were unable to find the back of the net on the night and were shut out on the road for just the second time this season.
Head Coach James O’Connor:
“Obviously very disappointed not to get anything out of the game. I think when you look at it, it’s one of their moments of brilliance from a world-class player. I think when you look at [Wayne Rooney’s] quality there’s a handful of players that can score a goal like that. His vision and his execution is top-class. I think if you take that out of the game, it’s us really pummeling them in every other statistic but the most important one, which is goals.”
10’ Wayne Rooney - D.C. 1, ORL 0
After the Lions were dispossessed in D.C.’s defensive half, Wayne Rooney hit a long range shot just shy of midfield that sailed over the head of Rowe into the back of the net for a near 70-yard finish.
- D.C. United looked to have doubled their lead in the 72nd minute off a goal from Ulises Segura, but upon Video Review, Segura was ruled offside and the goal was waived off.
- The Lions matched a season-high shot total with 19. They previously reached that number on May 24 in a 1-0 loss to the LA Galaxy earlier this year.
- Carlos Ascues appearing in the starting XI for City for the first time since April 6 against the Colorado Rapids.
- Dillon Powers recorded his second start of the year in MLS play and his fourth across all competitions for the Lions this season.
- Kyle Smith made his first appearance in the starting XI since May 15 against Seattle and his fourth overall on the year.
Orlando City will play its second match over a four day span on Saturday night, when the team travels to face Columbus Crew SC at MAPFRE Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET.
D.C. - Wayne Rooney 10’
ORL - Ruan (Yellow Card) 27’
ORL - Sacha Kljestan (Yellow Card) 89’
D.C. - Lucas Rodríguez (Yellow Card) 90’
Orlando City SC - GK Brian Rowe; D Kyle Smith, Robin Jansson, Lamine Sané, Ruan; M Carlos Ascues (Uri Rosell 70’), Sacha Kljestan, Dillon Powers; F Nani ©, Tesho Akindele (Santiago Patiño 83’), Chris Mueller (Benji Michel 79’)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Mason Stajduhar; D Danilo Acosta, Alex De John, Shane O’Neill
D.C. United - GK Bill Hamid; D Steven Birnbaum, Joseph Mora, Frédéric Brillant; M Lucas Rodríguez, Russell Canouse, Leonardo Jara, Chris Durkin; F Luciano Acosta (Quincy Amarikwa 88’), Wayne Rooney, Ulises Segura
Substitutes Not Used: GK Chris Seitz; D Jalen Robinson, Donovan Pines; M Zoltán Stieber, Chris McCann; F Griffin Yow
Details of the Game:
Time: 8 p.m. ET
Weather: Partly Cloudy
Date: June 26, 2019
D.C. - 45.9%
ORL - 54.1%
D.C. - 15
ORL - 19
D.C. - 3
ORL - 3
D.C. - 11
ORL - 15
D.C. - 4
ORL - 11