ORLANDO, Fla. (May 11, 2019) - Orlando Pride (0-5-1, 1 point) fell short, 3-1, to the Portland Thorns (2-0-2, 8 points) on Saturday night. The match saw the season debut of defender Toni Pressley, who scored the Pride’s lone goal on the night, as well as the first National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) appearance for defender Morgan Reid.
Orlando Pride Head Coach Marc Skinner:
“In that game, I think [we] had more shots, I think [we] had more corners, which is better than our last performance. I’m proud of what [the team] did tonight. Could the quality could be better? Of course, it can always be better, the quality. But, their never say die attitude, they gave everything and I am very pleased with that and that shows the foundations of what we are trying to build for a better tomorrow.”
10’ Toni Pressley (Carson Pickett) - ORL 1, POR 0
The Pride jumped out to an early lead thanks to a flick into the back of the net from the head of Toni Pressley. Carson Pickett’s corner kick from the left side served as the assist, the first for the Pride this season.
28’ Dagny Brinjarsdottir - ORL 1, POR 1
Portland equalized the scoring with a goal from Brinjarsdottir, who jumped on the end of a rebound off a Celeste Boureille shot that deflected off the post.
37’ Andressinha - POR 2, ORL 1
The Thorns took the lead off of a free kick from Andressinha from just outside the penalty box. The Brazilian curled the shot over the wall and just past the dive of Haley Kopmeyer.
57’ Caitlin Foord - POR 3, ORL 1
After an unfortunate headed clearance, Foord hit a volley from the left side first time, straight into the side netting of the far post to double the lead for the visitors.
- Saturday’s contest served as defender Toni Pressley’s first appearance and goal in 2019 after missing the first five matches of the season with injury. Pressley’s resume includes one goal in both the 2017 and 2018 seasons for the Pride.
- Goalkeeper Haley Kopmeyer recorded her first two saves of the evening by stopping a penalty kick from Caitlin Foord in the 66th minute. After saving the initial shot from the spot, Kopmeyer stopped the rebound to prevent a fourth goal by the Thorns.
- Midfielder Dani Weatherholt captained the Pride for the first time in NWSL play on Saturday. She previously captained the team in the April 7 preseason match against Puerto Rico Sol.
- Defender Morgan Reid recorded her first NWSL minutes with a start in Saturday’s contest. Reid was acquired by the Pride in a trade with the North Carolina Courage on April 4th.
- The Orlando Pride and Portland Thorns will face each other three times this season. Saturday’s contest served as the second of three, both of which have been hosted at Orlando City Stadium. The Pride will travel to Portland on July 14 for their final matchup.
The Pride head back on the road to face the Utah Royals at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday, May 25 following a week off from match play.
ORL - Toni Pressley (Carson Pickett) 10’
POR - Dagny Brinjarsdottir 28’
POR - Andressinha 37’
POR - Caitlin Foord 57’
ORL - Rachel Hill (Yellow Card) 35’
POR - Celeste Boureille (Yellow Card) 60’
ORL - Carson Pickett (Yellow Card) 74’
Orlando Pride - GK Haley Kopmeyer; D Erin Greening, Morgan Reid, Toni Pressley, Carson Pickett; Rachel Hill, Dani Weatherholt © (Abby Elinsky 78’), Joanna Boyles, Chioma Ubogagu (Camila 58’); Emily van Egmond, Marta
Substitutes Not Used: GK Lainey Burdett; M Bridget Callahan, Marisa Viggiano; F Danica Evans
Portland Thorns FC - GK Britt Eckerstrom; D Meghan Klingenberg, Emily Menges ©, Katherine Reynolds, Ellie Carpenter; M Celeste Boureille, Dagny Brinjarsdottir, Gabby Seiler; F Andressinha (Midge Purce 60’), Ana Crnogorcevic (Hayley Raso 46’), Caitlin Foord (Tyler Lussi 88’)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Bella Bixby; D Elizabeth Ball, Kelli Hubly; M Angela Salem
Details of the Game:
Time: 7:30 p.m. ET
Date: May 11, 2019
Stats Summary: ORL / POR
Possession: 49.9% / 50.1%
Shots: 16 / 10
Shots on Goal: 5 / 4
Saves: 2 / 4
Corner Kicks: 9 / 2
Fouls: 17 / 9
Offside: 3 / 2
Referee: Marie-Soleil Beaudoin
Assistant Referee 1: Kali Smith
Assistant Referee 2: Matthew Osterhouse
Fourth Official: Jasmine Peralta