HARRISON, N.J. (March 23, 2019) - Orlando City SC (1-1-2, 5 points) earned its first win of 2019 on Saturday in a 1-0 victory over the New York Red Bulls (1-1-1, 4 points) at Red Bull Arena.
The match served as the Lions’ 40th win in the MLS era and their first road victory since April 29, 2018, when City defeated the Colorado Rapids 2-1. The victory also marked the first time City has won at Red Bull Arena since its inaugural season in 2015.
Robin Jansson and João Moutinho made their debuts in purple on the evening, both featured in the starting lineup. Moutinho registered an assist on the night, his first of his career, while Jansson contributed to a backline that recorded City’s first shutout of the 2019 season.
Head Coach James O’Connor:
“I thought there was a lot of positives tonight. I think the manner in the performance was very good, I think the mentality was excellent. I think the chance creation we had was very good. I think we were unlucky, we felt, at halftime to not come in leading. I think we can be very, very pleased and I’m really pleased with the players because the identity of this group can’t be that game last week. When I look at the performances that we’ve had previously, they were all very encouraging, a lot of positives and the players get the award tonight. It was great.”
73’ Sacha Kljestan (João Moutinho, Dom Dwyer) - ORL 1, RBNY 0
Dom Dwyer finds João Moutinho on the left wing, who whips in a cross with the first touch inside the box, finding the foot of Sacha Kljestan. The former Red Bulls midfielder hits it first time, burying his shot into the right corner of the goal.
- The victory marked City’s 40th win in the MLS era.
- The Lions became the first team to defeat RBNY at Red Bull Arena since July 28, 2018 when the Columbus Crew defeated the Red Bulls 3-2 at home.
- City earned its first road win since a 2-1 victory at the Colorado Rapids on April 29, 2018 and its first road victory in the James O’Connor era.
- Goalkeeper Brian Rowe recorded his first shutout as a Lion.
- Robin Jansson and João Moutinho made their Club debuts on the evening, while Santiago Patiño recorded his first start as a Lion.
- Uri Rosell registered his first appearance and start of 2019.
- The Red Bulls were forced to make an early substitution in the 26th minute, with defender Connor Lade exiting the match with an injury.
- Defender Lamine Sané made his first appearance of 2019, coming in as a second-half substitute.
The Lions return home for a match against D.C. United on Sunday, March 31 at 6:30 p.m. ET at Orlando City Stadium.
ORL - Sacha Kljestan (João Moutinho, Dom Dwyer) 73’
ORL - Robin Jansson (Yellow Card) 51’
ORL - Lamine Sané (Yellow Card) 78’
ORL - Sacha Kljestan (Yellow Card) 90+3’
RBNY - Alex Muyl (Yellow Card) 90+6’
RBNY - Luis Robles (Yellow Card) 90+8’
Orlando City SC - GK Brian Rowe; D Robin Jansson, Alex De John (Lamine Sané 66’), Shane O’Neill; M João Moutinho, Carlos Ascues, Sacha Kljestan, Uri Rosell, Ruan; F Ⓒ Nani (Kyle Smith 77’), Santiago Patiño (Dom Dwyer 60’)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Greg Ranjitsingh; M Cristian Higuita; F Chris Mueller, Benji Michel
NY Red Bulls - GK Luis Robles; D Connor Lade (Omir Fernandez 26’ (Andreas Ivan 80’)), Amro Tarek, Tim Parker, Kyle Duncan; M Marc Rzatkowski, Sean Davis, Daniel Royer, Vincent Bezecourt (Mathias Jørgensen 59’), Alex Muyl; F Bradley Wright-Phillips
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ryan Meara; D Sean Nealis; M Cristian Cássares Jr.; F Brian White
Details of the Game:
Time: 7:30 p.m.
Date: March 23, 2019
RBNY - 55.2%
ORL - 44.8%
RBNY - 9
ORL - 6
RBNY - 1
ORL - 3
RBNY - 5
ORL - 14
RBNY - 7
ORL - 3