HIALEAH, Fla. (June 6, 2018) – Orlando City SC cruised to a 3-0 victory over National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) side Miami United FC in the fourth round of the 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday at Ted Hendricks Stadium. Sacha Kljestan earned three assists as Stéfano Pinho, Dillon Powers and PC scored.
City will learn its Round of 16 opponent through an open draw on Thursday at 11 a.m. ET.
“Obviously pleased to get a result that wasn’t easy. It’s a confident moment for us. It’s a moment that we needed. This was a critical result for us,” Lions head coach Jason Kreis said. “Very pleased that we got the win to advance and even more pleased that we got out of here with no injuries.”
City opened the scoring in the 37th minute. Kljestan played a quick combination with Josué Colmán before finding RJ Allen on the right wing. Allen curled the ball into the box for Pinho, who rifled it in.
Eight minutes into the second half, it was Kljestan again, this time finding Powers at the top of the box. Powers blasted his first goal as a Lion to make it 2-0.
Then in the 62nd minute, Kljestan picked up a loose ball deep in Miami territory before passing it across the box for PC, who made no mistake for his first goal as a Lion.
Goalkeeper Earl Edwards, Jr. was called upon to make just one save as he earned his second clean sheet with the City First Team.
Kljestan’s three assists were the most by a Lion in a single game since Kaká on Sept. 25, 2015, at the New York Red Bulls in MLS play.
Lions captain Jonathan Spector made his first appearance since April 8. Spector played the first half before being replaced by Chris Schuler.
The Lions return to MLS action on Saturday, June 9, when they visit Vancouver Whitecaps FC. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. ET. City finishes its four-game road trip on Wednesday in Montreal. The Lions return to Orlando City Stadium on June 23 against Montreal.
Tickets to all City home matches are available at OrlandoCitySC.com or by calling 855-ORL-CITY.
- M Sacha Kljestan had the first three-assist game by any Lion since Kaká had three assists since City’s 5-2 win over the New York Red Bulls on Sept. 25, 2015.
- F Stéfano Pinho scored his sixth career U.S. Open Cup goal and his second goal as a Lion.
- M Dillon Powers scored his first goal as a Lion in his first start of 2018.
- D PC scored his first goal as a Lion in his first start since March 3.
- GK Earl Edwards, Jr. made his first appearance of 2018 and his fourth U.S. Open Cup appearance as a Lion. Edwards earned his second Open Cup clean sheet.
- Captain D Jonathan Spector made his first appearance since April 8 vs. Portland. M Sacha Kljestan took the captain’s armband when Spector was replaced by D Chris Schuler at halftime. D RJ Allen took the captain’s armband when Kljestan was replaced in the 64th minute by M Jose Villarreal, who made his second consecutive appearance.
- D Chris Schuler returned to the pitch after missing City’s match at New York City. Schuler broke his arm during City’s match against Chicago on May 26 but finished the match.
ORL - Stéfano Pinho (RJ Allen, Sacha Kljestan) 37’
ORL - Dillon Powers (Sacha Kljestan) 53’
ORL - PC (Sacha Kljestan) 62’
ORL - Mohamed El-Munir (Yellow Card) 33’
MIA - Shamar Shelton (Yellow Card) 45’
MIA - Maximiliano Schenfeld (Yellow Card) 51’
MIA - Ezequiel Tejera (Yellow Card) 68’
MIA - Bautista Domingues (Yellow Card) 70’
ORL - PC (Yellow Card) 73’
Miami United FC - GK Occenat Peterson, D Maximiliano Schenfeld, Elusma Pierre, Navarro, Darryl Gordon, M Shelton Shamar (Ignacio Cubeddu 68’), Tomas Granitto (Sebastian Obregon 64’), Ezequiel Tejera, Bautista Domingues, F David Ochoa (Nicolas Martin Gorobsov 38’), Nicolás Micoli
Substitutes Not Used: GK Bryant Martin Gammiero, D Frank Long, Gabrielle Privitera, F Victor Pelae, Sekani Sinclair
Orlando City SC - GK Earl Edwards, Jr., D Mohamed El-Munir, Tony Rocha, ⓒ Jonathan Spector (Chris Schuler 46’), RJ Allen, M Uri Rosell (Will Johnson 75’), Dillon Powers, PC, Sacha Kljestan (Jose Villarreal 64’), Josué Colmán, F Stéfano Pinho
Substitutes Not Used: GK Joe Bendik, M Cristian Higuita, F Justin Meram, Chris Mueller
Details of the Game:
Time: 7:30 p.m. ET
Date: June 6, 2018
MIA - 30.5 %
ORL - 69.5 %
MIA - 7
ORL - 13
MIA - 2
ORL - 1
MIA - 23
ORL - 15
MIA - 4
ORL - 5