Rookie Rachel Hill stole the show in Round 2 of the W-League but Steph Catley and Alanna Kennedy stole the bragging rights to their city as well. Here’s a look back at how Pride players performed this weekend in Australia:
Melbourne City FC 1, Melbourne Victory 0 (recap / highlights)
The defending champions picked up their first three points of the season against their crosstown foes, downing Melbourne Victory 1-0 in the Derby match. Alanna Kennedy and Steph Catley both got the start and led City to its first shutout of the season. In a match mostly controlled by City, Victory had a chance to jump on the board in a 36th-minute scramble, but a big block from Catley kept the slate clean.
Rebecca Stott (Seattle Reign FC) broke through in the 82nd minute with what would prove to be the difference maker. City goalkeeper, and Stott’s Reign FC teammate, Lydia Williams came up with a game-saving stop on a header from Laura Alleway just three minutes later.
Perth Glory 4, Brisbane Roar 1 (recap / highlights)
After scoring two goals in her W-League debut, Rachel Hill followed it up with a stunning performance - recording her first professional hat trick in Round 2. Hill put Perth Glory up 1-0 in the 42nd minute, capitalizing after Sam Kerr (Sky Blue FC) picked off a pass in Brisbane territory. Brisbane equalized less than a minute later, but Hill didn’t let the tie last long. The forward jumped on a rebound in the 59th minute and finished off her three-pack in the 83rd minute.
After Round 2, Hill sits atop the league scoring ranks with five goals through just two matches.
Kerr got a goal of her own in the 77th minute, drawing then putting away penalty kick.
Other W-League Results:
Up Next: Round 3 Fixtures
- Adelaide vs. Perth (Fri., Nov. 10, 1:20 a.m. ET)
- Western Sydney vs. Brisbane (Fri., Nov. 10, 3:30 a.m. ET)
- Canberra vs. Sydney (Sun., Nov. 12, 12:30 a.m. ET)
- Melbourne City vs. Newcastle (Sun., Nov. 12, 12:30 a.m. ET)
- Melbourne Victory: Bye
Three Good Things:
- Rachel Hill Scoring Goals: Do we need to say more?
- @TheWomensGame: If you aren’t following this account yet, go ahead and do that now. It’s my go-to source for updates from Oz and is complete with all the GIFs you’ll ever need.
- Moni on the Move: Monica has been loaned to defending Primera Division champion Atlético Madrid, giving us a fifth Pride player to watch and ease our offseason blues. Atlético is already seven games into the season, undefeated thus far, and the defender will have the chance to make her debut this Saturday against UDG Tenerife.