The Pride are sitting on four games unbeaten. This is the first time in Club history that the team has finished the month of July without a single loss, recording three draws and one win in the month. They are currently in eighth place in the standings just three points behind Angel City, with a win putting the Pride over ACFC in the standings due to the head-to-head tiebreaker.
Last week, Gunny Jónsdóttir saw her first minutes after returning from international duty with Iceland, coming into the match in the 69th minute for Kerry Abello. Iceland went undefeated in the group stage of the 2022 UEFA Women's Euros, but did not advance to the knockout stage.
First Goals Times Two
Celia and Julie Doyle both scored their first goals for the Pride at Kansas City. Celia’s goal came in the 25 minute as she headed in a perfectly-placed cross from Erika Tymrak. This was Celia’s second regular season goal, the first in 2019 in a 1-0 win for the then-Reign FC.
Doyle's goal came in the 46th minute, with Kerry Abello winning the ball at midfield off the kick off, resulting in a break for the Pride. Abello was played a through ball with the KC goalkeeper coming off her line but she was unable to hold onto the ball. Meggie Dougherty Howard picked up the loose ball, sending it to Doyle streaking through the middle to put it away.
Return to Exploria
Six former Pride players are set to make their return to Exploria Stadium donning a different kit this Sunday. Currently on Angel City’s roster are forwards Sydney Leroux, Jasmyne Spencer and Claire Emslie, midfielder Dani Weatherholt, defender Ali Riley and goalkeeper Brittany (née Wilson) Isenhour, all of which spent some time in Orlando with the Pride.
On Sunday night, Exploria Stadium will transform into the early 2000s as part of the Pride’s Y2K Night. Supporters are encouraged to sport their Pride gear in some of their favorite 2000’s fashion trends. A Britney Spears impersonator will be making her rounds around the stadium as well. Fans can also sign up at Section 9 to sing their favorite 2000’s songs during a special halftime karaoke show.
- Erika Tymrak reached 160 appearances across all NWSL competitions in the last match, and is now two away from 150 in NWSL regular season appearances
- Tymrak is also one goal away from 20 in her NWSL career
- Meggie Dougherty Howard is five regular season appearances away from 100 in the NWSL
- Gunny Jónsdóttir is seven appearances away from 100 across all NWSL competitions
- Darian Jenkins is one goal away from 10 across all NWSL competitions
- Celia is four appearances away from 50 across all NWSL competitions
- Courtney Petersen is two appearances away from 50 across all competitions for the Pride