The Last Meeting
The Lions last took on Saturday’s opposition on May 14 of this year, traveling to BMO Field. That match resulted in a 1-0 victory for the side thanks to a stoppage-time game-winner off the head of defender Kyle Smith. The goal served as Smith’s first of the campaign, now with two in 2022, both of which have decided the match in favor of the Lions after sending in another stoppage-time decider on Aug. 31 to complete a 3-2 comeback for City over Seattle Sounders FC.
Maintaining the Streak
Dating back to the 2019 campaign, City is riding a five-game unbeaten run against the Reds, with three victories and a pair of draws in that span. Toronto’s last visit to Exploria Stadium came in June of last year in what actually served as a home match for the side while occupying downtown Orlando as its temporary home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Lions took that match with a 3-2 victory behind goals from Tesho Akindele, Nani and a game-winner from Júnior Urso.
Mauricio Pereyra will become the first player in Orlando City history to post multiple double-digit assist seasons in MLS with his next regular-season assist. Pereyra is two assists away from setting the new single-season Club record for assists in an MLS season, with his 2021 season currently holding the record along with three others (Kaká 2016, Yoshimar Yotún 2018, Nani 2019) at 10.
Lions’ Designated Player Facundo Torres has been in a strong run of form as of late, entering Saturday’s match with a total of eight goal contributions in Orlando City’s last seven matches. The 22-year-old leads the Club in goal contributions in all competitions with 21 in 2022 at 10 goals and 11 assists, with 13 of those contributions coming since the start of July.
- Orlando’s next clean sheet, its ninth, will mark a new single-season club record.
- Ercan Kara is one regular-season goal away from reaching double digits for the season.
- Kara would be the eighth Lion to reach that mark, the others being Cyle Larin (3x), Kevin Molino, Dom Dwyer, Nani (2x), Tesho Akindele, Chris Mueller, and Daryl Dike.
- Kara’s next appearance will serve as his 30th of the campaign.
- Antonio Carlos’ next start will serve as his 70th as a Lion.