AUSTIN, Texas (May 22, 2022) - Orlando City SC (6-4-3, 21 points) took a 2-2 draw in its first ever meeting with Austin FC (7-3-3, 24 points), with Ercan Kara and Ruan getting on the board for the Lions. Orlando will face a quick turnaround, set to host Inter Miami CF on Wednesday night in the Round of 16 of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
After building a 2-0 lead 22 minutes in, the Lions were reduced to nine men after Rodrigo Schlegel was shown a second yellow card and César Araújo picked up a straight red in the 60th and 69th minute, respectively. Despite being down two players, the visitors were able to secure the draw and return to Orlando with a point.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja:
“First just allow me to recognize the effort of the players today trying to overcome all those things that happened especially in the end and the second half. I guess we have to take it. We played a very good game until these things came. Very smart play by the players with a lot of intensity, a lot of discipline.”
2’ Ercan Kara (Júnior Urso) - ORL 1, ATX 0
The Lions got off to a quick start thanks to an error by Austin FC goalkeeper Brad Stuver, playing it directly to the feet of Júnior Urso in the area, who found Ercan Kara in the box for the first-time finish.
22’ Ruan - ORL 2, ATX 0
City doubled its advantage 20 minutes later, this time with João Moutinho feeding Facundo Torres up to the left flank, who crossed a ball in that deflected off Ercan Kara. The ball then fell to Mauricio Pereyra, who fired a shot that forced a save by Stuver, with Ruan at the back post to tuck the ball into the back of the net.
63’ Sebastián Driussi (PK) - ORL 2, ATX 1
The home side halved the deficit with a handball in the box sending Sebastián Driussi to the penalty spot, where he converted down the middle for the finish.
90+5’ Moussa Djitté - ORL 2, ATX 2
Austin brought things level late in second-half stoppage time after Moussa Djitté connected at the back post on a cross from the left side.
- Ercan Kara scored his fourth goal of the campaign in all competitions to take the team lead for the Lions.
- Kara’s second minute finish by the Lions served as their earliest of the year and the fourth fastest in Club history.
- Ruan netted his second goal of the year and his fourth as a Lion.
- Júnior Urso tallied his fourth assist of 2022.
- The Lions were reduced to 10 men when Rodrigo Schelgel was shown a second yellow card in the 60th minute. They were then reduced to nine men when César Araújo was shown a red card upon Video Review nine minutes later.
- In the fifth minute of play, defender João Moutinho reached 5,000 minutes played for the Club in all competitions. Moutinho leads the Lions in minutes played in 2022 with 1,167.
- Schlegel tallied his 50th appearance as a Lion in all competitions with the start on Sunday.
- Kyle Smith recorded his 75th regular-season appearance as a Lion, entering the game in the 72nd minute for Ercan Kara.
- Sunday served as the Lions’ inaugural matchup against Austin FC, with the Texas-based side joining Major League Soccer as an expansion side a year ago.
- Head Coach Oscar Pareja made no changes to his starting lineup from last week’s match at Toronto, marking the first time he has gone with the same XI from the previous match this campaign.
Next Match: The Lions return home on Wednesday, May 25 to take on Inter Miami CF in the Round of 16 of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. ET.