COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (July 13, 2022) - Orlando City SC (8-7-5, 29 points) battled to a 1-1 draw with the Colorado Rapids (5-8-6, 21 points) on Wednesday night at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, with Facundo Torres scoring his fifth goal in all competitions in the affair.
Just after the 20-minute mark, Torres was able to get on the end of a lay-off from Alexandre Pato to send his shot under the crossbar and in, with Pato earning his fourth assist of the year on the finish.
City returns to action on Sunday, July 17, traveling to take on Atlanta United FC in a 3 p.m. ET kickoff in a nationally televised fixture on ABC and ESPN Deportes at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja:
“A good point in a difficult place. I’d like to recognize the effort of the players with this continuity and proximity of the games, traveling and all those things. I think we’re finding ways to get results. I thought it was a game with two different versions. In the first half, I thought we played very well going ahead in the score and having a couple more chances. Then Colorado started reacting and in the second they overloaded us with more players up front where we couldn’t sustain the possession as we did in the first half and obviously they were more aggressive and started creating options. We had a couple of chances to win it and that’s why I think we’ll take the point and now think about the next one. It’s a difficult place with a result that today helps us to keep adding points.”
22’ Facundo Torres (Alexandre Pato) - ORL 1, COL 0
The Lions got on the board off a long throw-in from the left side, with the ball taking a flick into the area and finding Alexandre Pato in the box. The Brazilian international then was able to lay it off to Facundo Torres, who ripped a shot off first time, his strike hitting underneath the crossbar and into the back of the net.
65’ Gyasi Zardes (Michael Barrios) - ORL 1, COL 1
The home side leveled with Michael Barrios settling a lofted ball on the right flank before driving a cross into the area, finding a running Gyasi Zardes at the near post who was able to get just enough on it for the finish.
- Facundo Torres netted his fifth goal in all competitions and his fourth in Major League Soccer on the night.
- Alexandre Pato tallied his fourth assist of the year on Torres’ 22nd minute finish.
- Antonio Carlos made his return to the starting lineup for the first time since being sidelined with an injury on April 2 against LAFC.
- With the draw, City now holds a 4-1-2 record against the Rapids throughout Club history.
- Goalkeeper Javier Otero was available for selection for the first time in Major League Soccer after signing a short-term contract with the Club from MLS NEXT Pro side Orlando City B.
- Head Coach Oscar Pareja made three changes to his starting lineup from the Lions’ last outing, with Antonio Carlos, Alexandre Pato and Tesho Akindele all re-entering the fold.
Next Match: The Lions remain on the road at the weekend, traveling to take on Atlanta United FC on Sunday, July 17 in a 3 p.m. ET kickoff at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.