FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (Sept. 2, 2022) - Orlando City B (6-11-5, 25 points) dropped a 2-0 decision to New England Revolution II (9-9-4, 32 points) at Gillette Stadium on Friday night. With the result, the Lions were officially eliminated from contention for the MLS NEXT Pro Playoffs.
Revolution II saw Malcolm Fry and Ítalo find the back of the net on each side of the halftime break respectively. Orlando City B goalkeeper Javier Otero made seven saves in the match, raising his season total to 99 on the year.
The Lions next return to action against Philadelphia Union II, traveling up to Subaru Park on Sunday, Sept. 11 for a 1 p.m. ET showdown.
40’ Malcolm Fry (Marcos Dias) - NE 1, OCB 0
The hosts opened the scoring late in the first half. Revolution II forward Marcos Dias carried the ball down the left flank and to the endline before sliding the ball in front of goal. Midfielder Malcolm Fry made a run through the OCB defense at the right post and got just enough of the ball to knock it in for the opening goal.
53’ Ítalo (Ryan Lima) - NE 2, OCB 0
New England Revolution II extended their lead in the 53rd minute, as Ryan Lima controlled the ball in the OCB 18-yard box with his back to goal and hit it back across the box to a waiting Ítalo. Ítalo hit the ball first time down low to Otero’s left to find the back of the net.
- Goalkeeper Javier Otero made seven saves in the match, bringing his season total to 99 stops with two games left to play.
- Defender Tahir Reid-Brown made his first start for Orlando City B in the match
- Forward Theo Franca and midfielder Tyler Prebenda both made their third appearances for Orlando City B, each entering the match as a second-half substitute.
- The match saw eight yellow cards issued between the two sides.
- Head Coach Martín Perelman made four changes to his starting lineup from Monday’s match against FC Cincinnati 2.
Orlando City B next heads back out on the road, set to take on Philadelphia Union II on Sunday, Sept. 11 at 1 p.m. ET at Subaru Park.