HARRISON, N.J. (June 3, 2023) – Orlando City SC (6-4-5, 23 points) defeated the New York Red Bulls (4-6-7, 19 points) by a 3-0 scoreline at Red Bull Arena on Saturday night. The victory extends the Lions unbeaten streak to five games with the Club now outscoring their opponents 10-5 during that span. City has also won their last four matches against the Red Bulls across all competitions including a 1-0 victory at Exploria Stadium in the first match of the season.
Facundo Torres recorded a second-half brace, which is the first time this season he has recorded a multi-goal game. Torres first found the back of the net via penalty kick following a video review and later on slotting the ball home following a lethal counterattack. Torres is the first Lions player to earn a brace so far during the 2023 campaign.
Midfielder Iván Angulo earned his third goal of the season, hitting the back of the net in the first half for the Lions. The goal counted as the third of the year for Angulo across all competitions. Angulo also earned his first assist of the 2023 campaign, finding Torres on the Club’s third goal of the night. Angulo is the third Lions player to record a goal and an assist in a single match this year, joining forwards Ercan Kara and Martín Ojeda both of which have done so twice this season.
Wilder Cartagena collected an assist and César Araújo earned a secondary assist as they combined on the Angulo goal. The assist was the first of the year for the former and the third of the year for the latter. Araújo has now also recorded two assists in the Club’s previous three matches.
City will now turn its attention to a visit from the Colorado Rapids, set for Saturday, June 10 in a 7:30 p.m. ET kickoff at Exploria Stadium.
18’ Iván Angulo (Wilder Cartagena, César Araújo) – ORL 1, RBNY 0
The Lions opened up the scoring on the night, with César Araújo and Wilder Cartagena combining to break the press of the Reb Bulls, while Cartagena played a through ball to Iván Angulo that broke the defensive line and put him one-on-one with Carlos Coronel. Angulo faked a shot to his left to freeze Coronel before firing it past him for the lead.
52’ Facundo Torres (Penalty Kick) – ORL 2, RBNY 0
Orlando City added to its lead just after the halftime break after a penalty kick was awarded to the Lions by way of video review. Facundo Torres stepped up for the men in purple, smashing to Coronel’s left for their second of the night.
72’ Facundo Torres (Iván Angulo, Martín Ojeda) – ORL 3, RBNY 0
Torres struck again 20 minutes after his first goal, with Iván Angulo on a breakaway from midfield down the left flank of the Lions’ attack. Angulo took two players out of the play when he laid the ball off to Torres in the box. Torres hit a ball into the lower-left corner for his second finish on the night and his fourth on the year.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja:
"It was another good example of the character of the players. I think we looked like a very serious team, a very professional team that came in today and under the discipline and cohesiveness of the players on the field, we found our ways to score in the right moments and beat a difficult rival that never gave up. We are very happy with the victory, and it was nice to see the fans as well in the stands. We are feeling good.”
- Iván Angulo recorded his third goal of the season with the first-half finish. Angulo also earned his first assist of the 2023 campaign.
- Facundo Torres picked up his third and fourth goal of the season with the second-half brace.
- Wilder Cartagena collected his first assist of the season, which also accounted for his first goal contribution of the year.
- César Araújo tallied his second assist of the 2023 campaign on the Angulo finish, earning the secondary. Araújo now has two assists in the Club’s last three matches.
- Goalkeeper Pedro Gallese earned his fifth clean sheet of the season across all competitions, two of which have come against the Red Bulls.
- Midfielder Mauricio Pereyra made his 100th start for Orlando City across all competitions, wearing the armband for the Lions on the night.
- Midfielder César Araújo made his 50th start in purple across all competitions.
- City extended their current unbeaten streak to their fifth consecutive game. The Lions are also unbeaten in their last four matches against the Red Bulls.
- The Lions now have four road wins on the season, which currently leads the league.
- Head Coach Oscar Pareja made no changes to his starting lineup from his side’s last match against Atlanta United FC.