ORLANDO, Fla. (Oct. 29, 2021) - Orlando Pride (7-10-7, 28 points) dropped a 1-0 decision to the Chicago Red Stars (11-9-5, 38 points) on Friday night at Exploria Stadium in what served as the side’s 2021 National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) season finale.
Toni Pressley captained the Pride in the match for the first time this campaign, while the fixture also saw Erin McLeod earn the start in net for the sixth time since coming to Orlando. Midfielder Marisa Viggiano tallied her 40th NWSL regular season appearance in the match as well, all of which have come as a member of the Pride.
Orlando Pride Interim Head Coach Becky Burleigh:
“As far as the game, I thought Phoebe [McClernon] and Toni [Pressley] played an outstanding game. It’s a partnership at center back that we hadn’t played before, so for them to do such a great job with that was a real credit to both of them. I thought in the first half we had a hard time keeping the ball in the final third. We just couldn’t quite connect and obviously you have to give Chicago a little bit of credit for that too. It got a little better in the second half, but still not enough quality chances to be able to break through.”
65’ Kealia Watt (Morgan Gautrat) - CHI 1, ORL 0
Chicago opened the scoring with Morgan Gautrat feeding Kealia Watt down the left side, who dribbled into the area before curling a shot into the far post for the finish.
- Toni Pressley captained the Pride on the night, wearing the armband for the first time in 2021.
- Erin McLeod tallied her sixth appearance for Orlando in the match, starting in between the sticks for the side.
- Marisa Viggiano recorded her 40th regular season appearance for the Pride with the start.
- Emily van Egmond made her second appearance of the season, and first at home, after being signed at the deadline with the midfielder entering as a substitute at the start of the second half.
- Parker Roberts tallied her second professional appearance on Friday night, entering the match in the 69th minute.
- The Pride made four changes to its starting lineup in the fixture from its last outing against Racing Louisville, with Pressley, Phoebe McClernon, Kylie Strom and Erika Tymrak appearing in the XI.
CHI - Kealia Watt (Morgan Gautrat) 65’
ORL - Kylie Strom (Yellow Card) 30’
CHI - Kealia Watt (Yellow Card) 55’
Orlando Pride - GK Erin McLeod; D Kylie Strom (Ali Riley 59’), Phoebe McClernon, Toni Pressley ©, Courtney Petersen; M Gunny Jónsdóttir (Parker Roberts 69’), Marisa Viggiano, Erika Tymrak (Emily van Egmond 46’); F Jodie Taylor (Abi Kim 75’), Sydney Leroux, Alex Morgan
Substitutes Not Used: GK Kaylie Collins, Brittany Wilson; D Amy Turner; F Crystal Thomas
Chicago Red Stars - GK Cassie Miller; D Tatumn Milazzo, Sarah Gorden, Tierna Davidson, Arin Wright; M Danielle Colaprico (Nikki Stanton 86’), Morgan Gautrat, Vanessa DiBernardo, Makenzy Doniak (Rachel Hill 46’), Kealia Watt (Ella Stevens 86’); F Mallory Pugh (Alyssa Mautz 84’)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Emily Boyd; D Zoe Morse, Bianca St. Georges
Details of the Game:
Time: 7 p.m. ET
Date: Oct. 29, 2021
Stats Summary: ORL / CHI
Possession: 57.1% / 42.9%
Shots: 6 / 17
Shots on Goal: 1 / 4
Saves: 3 / 1
Corner Kicks: 1 / 3
Fouls: 4 / 10
Offside: 1 / 0
REF: Elvis Osmanovic
AR1: Ashlee Varnson
AR2: Miguel Martes
4TH: Sarieni Vasquez
Heineken Star of the Match: Phoebe McClernon