NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Sept. 29, 2021) - Orlando City SC (10-8-9, 39 points) battled to a 2-2 draw against Nashville SC (11-3-13, 46 points) on Wednesday night at Nissan Stadium, overcoming a two-goal deficit to earn the point on the road.
Daryl Dike netted his second goal in as many contests in the match, both drawing a penalty and converting from the spot in what served as his fifth finish of the campaign. Less than 20 minutes later, the Lions would find a late equalizer off a Nani corner kick, deflecting off forward Benji Michel before taking a final touch off Nashville’s Brian Anunga and into the back of the net.
The match saw defender Antonio Carlos tally his 50th appearance as a Lion in all competitions, while goalkeeper Pedro Gallese recorded his 100th MLS regular-season save with his first stop of the night. City will return home on Saturday, Oct. 2 to face D.C. United in a 7:30 p.m. ET kickoff at Exploria Stadium with tickets available here or by calling (855) ORL-CITY.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja:
“Tonight we saw the heart of our players, the commitment that they have to the Club and with ourselves. It is a very important point against a good rival and we take it very proudly. I thought we had the initiative the whole game. We did not want to give it up. This is the way we do it, this is the way we play and the boys were faithful to their ways. [Nashville] defend very low and are very effective on the counters and obviously we lost them on the second goal, but the whole game we had that initiative that just made me feel that the players are intact and we will keep fighting. We have another match in a few days, but today is important for us.”
11’ Hany Mukhtar - NSH 1, ORL 0
The home side got on the board first thanks to a penalty attempt from Hany Mukhtar. The German striker’s attempt was initially saved by Pedro Gallese, but Mukhtar was able to follow his shot and send the rebound into the back of the net.
59’ Randall Leal (Dax McCarty) - NSH 2, ORL 0
The home side doubled its advantage after the break, jumping on a misplayed pass in the midfield by the Lions with Dax McCarty eventually finding the feet of Randall Leal. The Costa Rican striker then proceeded to drive up the pitch before sending his shot into the back of the net for the finish.
76’ Daryl Dike (PK) - NSH 2, ORL 1
City halved the deficit off the foot of Daryl Dike, who drew the penalty kick before stepping up to the spot himself, sending his shot into the left side of the net for his second finish in as many contests and his fifth of the season.
90+3’ Brian Anunga (OG) - ORL 2, NSH 2
The Lions found a late equalizer off a corner from Nani whipped in from the right side, played into a dangerous area and deflecting off forward Benji Michel before taking a last touch off Brian Anunga and into the back of the net.
- The draw served as the third-consecutive result for the Lions at Nissan Stadium and the second in 2021, taking a 1-1 draw from Nashville SC earlier this season on Aug. 18.
- The stoppage time finish for the Lions served as their first of the campaign, as well as the first own goal to go in their favor in 2021.
- Daryl Dike scored his fifth goal of the season on the evening in his first penalty attempt in Major League Soccer, good for his second finish in as many contests and his fifth of the 2021 campaign.
- With his first save of the evening, goalkeeper Pedro Gallese tallied his 100th stop in MLS regular-season action. Gallese finished the evening with four saves to put him at 103 in total.
- Antonio Carlos recorded his 50th appearance for Orlando City in all competitions with the start on Wednesday night.
- Alexander Alvarado tallied his second start of the 2021 campaign in the match.
- Head Coach Oscar Pareja made three changes to his starting lineup on the night, with Antonio Carlos, Alexander Alvarado and Silvester van der Water each reentering the fold for the side.
Next Match: City faces a quick turnaround, returning home to take on D.C. United on Saturday, Oct. 2 at Exploria Stadium in a 7:30 p.m. ET kickoff.