KISSIMMEE, Fla. (Aug. 17, 2022) - Orlando City B (6-10-3, 23 points) battled to a 5-2 rout over Rochester NY FC (7-7-5, 30 points) on Wednesday night at Osceola County Stadium, good for the side’s second-consecutive victory.
The Lions were backed by five different goal-scorers in First Team players Tesho Akindele, Jack Lynn, Wilder Cartagena and Iván Angulo, along with MLS NEXT All-Star Game MVP Favian Loyola finding the back of the net in the match. Lynn appeared multiple times on the scoresheet, earning the assist on Loyola’s finish, while Niko Gioacchini and Jake Mulraney each tallied helpers of their own in what served as their first assists in their respective Club tenures.
Orlando City B returns to action on Saturday, Aug. 20, hosting Columbus Crew 2 in a 7 p.m. ET kickoff at Osceola County Stadium in what will serve as the second match of a three-game home stand for the Lions.
Orlando City B Head Coach Martín Perelman:
“I’m very happy for our team. We joined the rosters for today, everybody helped each other. It’s a really good message from our Club that we all work together. The First Team is the priority and today I’m happy because both rosters had a great game together.”
25’ Jesus Batiz (Edward Williams) - ROC 1, OCB 0
The visitors took the lead with Edward Williams threading a ball through the Lions defense for Jesus Batiz, who was able to slot it inside the right post for the finish.
34’ Tesho Akindele - OCB 1, ROC 1
Orlando City B leveled with Niko Gioacchini playing Rodrigo Schlegel up the pitch, who played the square ball across the face of goal to Tesho Akindele, who was able to net the equalizer.
47’ Jack Lynn (Niko Gioacchini) - OCB 2, ROC 1
The Lions took the lead shortly after the halftime break with Wilder Cartagena playing a ball over the top for a running Niko Gioacchini, who controlled it and took it up the pitch into the area before laying off a pass to Jack Lynn. The MLS SuperDraft selection wasted no time, striking it with his first touch for the lead.
58’ Wilder Cartagena (Jake Mulraney) - OCB 3, ROC 1
City doubled its advantage off the set piece play, with Jake Mulraney lofting in a free kick from just outside the area, finding the head of Wilder Cartagena for his first finish as a Lion.
68’ Iván Angulo - OCB 4, ROC 1
Orlando City B added another off the set piece yet again, this time with Iván Angulo lining up outside the left edge of the area before sending his strike straight into the bottom right corner for his first goal for the Club.
69’ Favian Loyola (Jack Lynn) - OCB 5, ROC 1
The Lions added a fifth just a minute later, with Iván Angulo finding Jack Lynn just outside the area, who was able to turn and find Favian Loyola running to his right. The MLS NEXT All-Star game MVP took a pair of touches before curling his left-footed shot into the back of the net.
72’ Bubacar Djaló (Gabriel Costa) - OCB 5, ROC 2
Rochester got one back with Gabriel Costa whipping in a free kick from the right side, finding the head of Bubacar Djaló for the finish.
- Jack Lynn netted his 15th goal of the MLS NEXT Pro campaign to move into a tie for the Golden Boot with Columbus’ Jacen Russell-Rowe and added an assist on Loyola’s second half finish.
- Wilder Cartagena scored his first goal for the Club, heading home a free kick from Jake Mulraney who earned his first assist as a Lion with the finish.
- Iván Angulo tallied his first goal as a Lion on the night.
- Favian Loyola netted his third goal of the MLS NEXT Pro campaign and his first at Osceola County Stadium.
- Tesho Akindele captained the Lions in the match in what served as his MLS NEXT Pro debut, scoring his first goal in the league.
- Niko Gioacchini picked up his first goal contribution as a Lion, picking up the assist on Lynn’s goal after the halftime break.
- Nine Orlando City First Team players featured for Head Coach Martín Perelman’s side on Wednesday night with Rodrigo Schlegel, Wilder Cartagena, Iván Angulo, Niko Gioacchini and Jake Mulraney joining Akindele in making their MLS NEXT Pro debuts in the match.
Next Match: Orlando City B returns to action on Saturday, Aug. 20, hosting Columbus Crew 2 at Osceola County Stadium in a 7 p.m. ET kickoff.