ORLANDO, Fla. (Aug. 26, 2020) - Orlando City SC (3-2-2, 11 points) earned a 3-1 victory over Nashville SC on Wednesday night at Exploria Stadium in its first match in The City Beautiful since its Feb. 29 season opener. The match also saw fans return to Exploria Stadium at a reduced and socially-distanced capacity.
Daryl Dike netted his first professional brace in the match, including the eventual game-winner in the 52nd minute. With that, he became the first rookie in Club history to score in each of his first two professional starts after scoring his first MLS goal last week at Inter Miami, now with three goals in Orlando City’s last two matches.
Chris Mueller opened the Lions’ account on the night, leveling the two sides in the 21st minute for his fifth finish of the season, a team-high that ties him for second in MLS.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja:
“First of all, we understand that these are difficult times and obviously it gave us the joy today to get three points, to win, to play again in front of some fans. It was hard for us to not have them all, but at the same time to see that we have this possibility to play in front of some and we respect that. The three points are a development of the game with an idea of playing that we have been consistent in trying to respect the ball and to always have the initiative of the game, but we found a good opposition with Nashville. We loved to see Daryl [Dike] scoring today, many things happened today that pleased us.”
16’ Dave Romney (Hany Mukhtar) - NSH 1, ORL 0
The visitors took the early lead after a free kick from Hany Mukhtar found the head of Dave Romney in the center of the area for the finish.
21’ Chris Mueller (João Moutinho, Mauricio Pereyra) - ORL 1, NSH 1
City leveled just five minutes later, with João Moutinho cutting past his defender before going back to his left foot to whip a ball across the box, finding the head of a lying Chris Mueller at the back post, who hit it home to even the two sides once more.
52’ Daryl Dike (Mauricio Pereyra, Chris Mueller) - ORL 2, NSH 1
The Lions took the lead after Chris Mueller played a through ball to Mauricio Pereyra, who hit a first-time pass across the face of goal to a running Daryl Dike. The 2020 MLS SuperDraft selection hammered it first time past Nashville goalkeeper Joe Willis for his second goal in as many matches.
71’ Daryl Dike - ORL 3, NSH 1
The rookie netted his second of the night in a play that started with a cross from Ruan from the right side, finding the head of Júnior Urso in the box. Urso’s attempt was saved by Willis, but Dike was there for the rebound to secure his first professional brace.
- Daryl Dike netted his first professional brace in the match, now with three goals in the Lions’ last two games, becoming the first rookie in Club history to score in each of his first two professional starts.
- Chris Mueller scored his fifth goal of the season in the match to extend his team lead and recorded his second assist in as many contests.
- Mauricio Pereyra registered the first multi-assist performance for the Lions this season, earning a secondary assist on Mueller’s goal in the 21st minute before sliding the ball across to Daryl Dike for his 52nd minute goal.
- João Moutinho registered his second assist of the season with his cross to Mueller in the 21st minute, tying Nani, Mueller and Pereyra for a team high.
- Daryl Dike and Rodrigo Schlegel each recorded their first starts at Exploria Stadium since joining the Club ahead of the 2020 campaign.
- Kamal Miller made his first appearance of the season, entering the match in the 85th minute for João Moutinho.
- The match served as the first at Exploria Stadium since Orlando City’s 2020 MLS opener on Feb. 29, as well as the first time the team has played in front of fans since the suspension of the season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Wednesday’s match served as the Lions’ first against Nashville SC, with the Music City-based side joining Major League Soccer this year.
- Next Match: The Lions will head back out on the road for their next two matches, facing a quick turnaround at Atlanta United on Saturday, Aug. 29 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium before taking their first trip to Nashville on Wednesday, Sept. 2.
NSH - Dave Romney (Hany Mukhtar) 16’
ORL - Chris Mueller (João Moutinho, Mauricio Pereyra) 21’
ORL - Daryl Dike (Mauricio Pereyra, Chris Mueller) 52’
ORL - Daryl Dike 71’
NSH - Jalil Anibaba (Yellow Card) 43’
ORL - João Moutinho (Yellow Card) 44’
ORL - Benji Michell (Yellow Card) 83’
NSH - Alistair Johnston (Yellow Card) 90+5’
Orlando City SC - GK Pedro Gallese; D João Moutinho (Kamal Miller 85’), Robin Jansson, Rodrigo Schlegel, Ruan; M Chris Mueller (Kyle Smith 85’), Sebastián Méndez (Júnior Urso 66’), Uri Rosell (Andrés Perea 66’), Mauricio Pereyra (Benji Michel 78’); F Daryl Dike, Nani ©
Substitutes Not Used: GK Brian Rowe; D Alex De John; M Jordan Bender, Robinho
Nashville SC - GK Joe Willis; D Jalil Anibaba (Alistair Johnston 46’), Dave Romney, Walker Zimmerman, Daniel Lovitz; M Randall Leal, Aníbal Godoy (David Accam 77’), Dax McCarty ©, Hany Mukhtar (Derrick Jones 64’); F Daniel Ríos (Alex Muyl 65’), Abu Danladi (Dominique Badji 65’)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Elliot Panicco; D Brayan Beckeles; M Matt LaGrassa, Brian Anunga
Details of the Game:
Time: 7:30 p.m. ET
Date: August 26, 2020
ORL - 61.1%
NSH - 38.9%
ORL - 17
NSH - 16
ORL - 3
NSH - 5
ORL - 12
NSH - 8
ORL - 5
NSH - 4
Heineken Star of the Match: Daryl Dike