KISSIMMEE, Fla. (Aug. 27, 2023) – Orlando City B (12-9-3, 40 points) took all three points from its matchup with Columbus Crew 2 (13-8-3, 45 points) on Sunday, August 27, at Osceola County Stadium. The Lions put up a 4-1 scoreline to take down the MLS NEXT Pro defending champions and push further up the table in the midst of push for the playoffs.
Wilfredo Rivera opened the scoring on the night, striking in the 39th minute for the lone goal in the first half. Shak Mohammed and Jhon Solís both added to the Lions’ lead after Crew 2 saw Clay Holstad sent off in eight minutes into the half for a second yellow card. The visitors got one back with an 80th-minute goal from substitute Gibran Rayo, but Jack Lynn continued his chase for the Golden Boot, converting a penalty kick just two minutes later to guarantee the three points for OCB over the Crew.
Crew 2 also had a penalty kick attempt on the night, with head official Daniel Gutierrez awarding one in the 71st, but OCB goalkeeper Javier Otero parried it away. Otero has now stopped three penalty kicks in regulation and has seen a further two missed when facing them down in 2023.
The Lions will next host Crown Legacy FC on Sunday, September 3 at Osceola County Stadium. That match is set to kickoff at 7 p.m. ET on MLS Season Pass on Apple TV.
39’ Wilfredo Rivera (Alex Freeman) – ORL 1, CLB 0
The Lions opened up the scoring on the night just before the end of the first half, forcing a turnover and immediately playing a long ball forward to Alex Freeman on the fastbreak down the right flank. Freeman played in a low cross behind the defense for Wilfredo Rivera, who took a left-footed shot first time with enough on it to beat the Crew goalkeeper.
54’ Shak Mohammed – ORL 2, CLB 0
OCB added to its lead shortly after seeing Clay Holstad sent off for a second yellow card. Wilfredo Rivera found himself in front of goal, with his shot being saved off the line by a Crew defender. The rebound popped out to Shak Mohammed, who fired it in for the Lions’ second of the night.
65’ Jhon Solís (Shak Mohammed) – ORL 3, CLB 0
Mohammed would turn provider for the Lions just 11 minutes later, setting up Jhon Solís inside the top of Columbus’ 18-yard box. Solís opened up and took a shot that found itself just inside the left corner of the Crew’s net for his second of the year.
80’ Gibran Rayo (Colin Mrowka) – ORL 3, CLB 1
The visitors got one back in the 80th minute as Colin Mrowka sent in a cross just in front of OCB goalkeeper Javier Otero. The ball passed the first Columbus player and fell to Gibran Rayo on the back post, who headed it in.
82’ Jack Lynn (Penalty Kick) – ORL 4, CLB 1
OCB responded almost immediately with Alex Freeman going down in the box and drawing a penalty kick. Jack Lynn stepped up and buried it for his 15th of the year, increasing his team lead and equaling his total from last season.
- Forward Jack Lynn tallied his 15th goal of the season, equaling his total from the 2022 campaign and putting him just one goal behind the Golden Boot leader at this point in the season.
- Orlando City forward Wilfredo Rivera notched his second goal of the 2023 MLS NEXT Pro campaign, finishing off the cross from Alex Freeman.
- City defender Alex Freeman provided his third assist of the season for OCB, counting for his seventh goal contribution of the year.
- OCB midfielder Jhon Solís tallied his second goal of the season for the Lions.
- Following up on a brace in OCB’s last match before tonight, Shak Mohammed added to his goal tally. Finding the back of the net in the 54th minute, Mohammed scored his fifth goal of 2023 and now only trails forward Jack Lynn for most goals for the Club this season.
- Mohammed also added an assist on the night with the helper on Jhon Solís’ tally, his third of the year.
- Goalkeeper Javier Otero made his third save of the year on penalty kicks taken in regulation, stopping Abdi Mohamed in the 71st minute. Otero has also seen and additional two penalties missed by the opposition when facing the Venezuelan goalkeeper.
- Head Coach Martín Perelman made four changes to his starting lineup from his side’s last match against New York City FC II, with Alex Freeman, Juninho, Franco Pérez and Thomas Williams all getting the start on the night